Natural Color or Not

It seems as though having colorful hair is getting more to be a trend nowadays.  Yesterday at work, when helping out a customer, I could not help but to notice the customer’s hair style.  The customer’s hair style was a light purple faux hawk.  The hair style looked really good on the customer.  When talking to the customer about her hairstyle, the customer was telling me on how most people do not like her hair color.  She was telling me on how others find it odd.  I just laughed about it and told her that it was really cool to have a non-ordinary color such as light purple as a hair color.  With that conversation, it struck me with a question.  Is having colorful hair strange or being more open?  This question can be debatable.

Professional or Not…
I remember in high school, the school district was a little strict on dress code.  One particular rule was the hair color.  I remember when my mother was registering me for high school during my sophomore year that one rule was that students could not dye their hair an “unnatural” color.  When my mother seen this rule as part of the school dress code on a sheet of paper, my mother responded by saying to me “well in that case, I should dye your hair purple, Ariel.”  I started laughing.  Knowing my mother, she would have done it in a heartbeat.  Even with jobs, a person has to have a natural hair color in order to work in the environment.  But, things have a changed a little from when I was in high school. I noticed that nowadays, more people are stepping out with hair colors that society might see as “unnatural.”  For example, I see more females boldly wearing dark purple highlights, tips, and just full dark purple hair while working.  I see more females wearing “unnatural” hair colors as though it is “natural” hair color.  It seems as though colorful hair dying is slightly becoming less of a rule.


Fearful or Fearless…
With having colorful hair dying, more people are stepping out on it.  This past month while volunteering to help with my church, I noticed a church member having hot pink hair.  When talking to the church member about it, I told her that I wanted to dye my hair an “unnatural” color as well.  However, I was afraid that dark purple or hot pink hair would not look great on me.  The church member had told me that at first, she would not think that hot pink would look great on her neither.  But, she took a chance at it and it turned better than great.  When changing the hair into an unnatural color, a person is taking a step into be fearless and free. Anyone can have a natural look to them. But by owning an unnatural look to call it fabulous is just fierce and free!


Despite of colorful hair being unprofessional in the world, more people are freely rocking it like it is no tomorrow.  It is fun to experience the joys of colors in hair, makeup, and clothing.  Why not be fearless and dye the hair into a nice light blue color?  Why not be free spirited when it comes down to the hair? Colors are mint to be enjoyed into the world. 


Pictures:  www.pinterest.com

Comments

Popular Posts